Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Innovation Goes Mainstream

Do you still check Parade magazine every Sunday? Sometimes my husband teases me that Parade is the first part of the Sunday newspaper that I read. Even though we get the online version of the paper during the week, there's still something about flipping through that thick newspaper each Sunday!

This past Sunday I was delighted to see such a clear educational focus...one that incorporates both innovative ideas and traditional programs, such as recess, art, music, wood shop, and cooking. Michael Brick's article, "Building a Better School Day" emphasizes the importance of educating students to be not only "great test takers but great learners." Here are the seven inspiring ideas that Brick advocates:

1. Begin the day "over easy" with breakfast.
2. Emphasize learning, not testing.
3. Teach 21st-century skills.
4. "Flip" the class work.
5. Say "yes" to recess.
6. Get creative.
7. Go longer--and better.

Education is no longer the exclusive domain of teachers, administrators, and school boards. If Parade magazine informs its readers about "flipped" classrooms, multidisciplinary learning, and project-based learning, we need to be ready to lead the way. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I saw that same article in Parade, Beth. Yes, I also still check that magazine in the Sunday paper and enjoy actually holding the paper in my hands as I sip my coffee. I probably should be making the switch to online to save trees but I do recycle the paper after I read it!!

    It's fascinating to me that the educational terms we all toss around with some familiarity are making into the media mainstream. I'm working with Revere High school in Massachusetts who have begin flipped learning with their freshmen academy and this year are moving to whole school iPads and giving all their faculty professional development in flipping the classroom. It's fascinating to help them develop the leadership and support for this effort and this next year will be both challenging and intriguing as we increase out efforts to engage students in their learning. We call it "developing student agency" as we believe that incorporating technology will allow students to take more ownership of where, how and what they learn. I will keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete